PROTECTIVE EDGE DAY 23 and 24: ' News from the Front As Dead Toll Rises and Children are at Centre of Bombings Including a School '
ACE WORLD NEWS – GAZA CRISIS UPDATE – JULY 30 2014
- Since July 7, Israel has killed at least 1088 Palestinians in Gaza, including at least 229 children. Approximately 6500 others have been injured.
- On Monday (July 28), 10 people, including eight children, were killed and 40 others wounded by an explosion in a park near the beach in the Shati refugee camp in Gaza City. Although the Israeli military denied responsibility, as it has done on several other similar occasions previously during the current conflict before reversing itself, eyewitnesses stated that the explosion was caused by an Israeli air-strike.
- According to the United Nations, as of yesterday (July 28) at 8 AM ET:
- At least 795 Palestinian civilians have been killed in Gaza, including at least 229 children and 118 women. (Note: these figures do not include the death toll for attacks on Shifa hospital and Shati refugee camp on Monday, which killed numerous children and other civilians.)
- As of July 27, more than 6200 Palestinians have been injured, including more than 1900 children and 1100 women.
- Twenty-two hospitals, clinics and medical centers have been hit by Israeli airstrikes or shelling since July 8. At least one doctorand two medics have been killed.
- At least 194,000 children require specialized psychosocial support (PSS) due to trauma caused by the death or injury of someone they know or loss of home.
- 215,000 internally displaced people (IDP) are sheltering in United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) and government schools, informal shelters or host families. UN schools are sheltering almost 179,000 people, which amounts to 10% of the population of the Gaza Strip, and is triple the number who took refuge with UNRWA during Israel’s devastating assault on Gaza in the winter of 2008-2009, Operation Cast Lead.
- Israel has destroyed or severely damaged approximately 685 residential properties, including numerous multi-story buildings, causing hundreds of civilian casualties.
- Since July 7, 133 schools have been damaged. At least six teachers are known to have been killed.
- The Israeli army has declared 44% of the tiny Gaza Strip a military “buffer zone.”