WASHINGTON: ‘ JEFFREY FOWLE RELEASED FROM CUSTODY IN NORTH KOREA ‘


#AceWorldNews – WASHINGTON – October 21 – Jeffrey Fowle, one of three Americans being held in North Korea, has been released, the State Department said Tuesday.

American detainee who was arrested in North Korea for leaving a bible at his hotel is released and on his way home, but two other US men remain in secretive state

American detainee who was arrested in North Korea for leaving a bible at his hotel is released and on his way home, but two other US men remain in secretive state

State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf said Fowle was home Tuesday after negotiators left Pyongyang. 

Fowle was arrested in North Korea in May for leaving a bible at his hotel.

An American government plane picked up Fowle on Tuesday before flying to Guam, a senior State Department official told CNN. 

She said the U.S. is still trying to free Americans Matthew Miller and Kenneth Bae.  

Fowle was arrested at the airport earlier this year while trying to leave North Korea.

Last month, Fowle gave an interview to CNN pleading for U.S. help and speaking about conditions of his detention.

He spoke to CNN with Kenneth Bae and Matthew Todd Miller, two Americans also being held in North Korea.

In the interview, Fowle said he has ‘no complaints’ about his treatment.

‘It’s been very good so far, and I hope and pray that it continues, while I’m here two more days or two more decades,’ he said.

Washington has tried for months to send a high-level envoy to North Korea to seek release of the three men.

Analysts say North Korea has previously used detained Americans as leverage in its stand-off with the U.S. over its nuclear and missile programs, a charge that Pyongyang denies. 

Source: 

#ANS2014

HONG KONG: ‘ PROTESTERS MEET WITH OFFICIALS BUT GOVERNMENT WILL NOT COMPROMISE ‘


#AceWorldNews – HONG KONG – Hong Kong student leaders and government officials talked but agreed on little Tuesday as the city’s Beijing-backed leader reaffirmed his unwillingness to compromise on the key demand of activists camped in the streets now for a fourth week.

'Students Meet with Government Officials But Leave With No Compromise '

‘Students Meet with Government Officials But Leave With No Compromise ‘

Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying told reporters that the government won’t let the public nominate candidates to run in inaugural direct elections to succeed him in 2017, as demanded by thousands of protesters occupying main streets across the city.

But he added that there’s room to discuss how to form the key 1,200-member nominating committee. 

Leung said such changes could be covered in a second round of consultations over the next several months.

“How we should elect the 1,200 so that the nominating committee will be broadly representative – there’s room for discussion there,” Leung said. “There’s room to make the nominating committee more democratic, and this is one of the things we very much want to talk to not just the students but the community at large about.”

Soon after Leung spoke to The Associated Press and three other news agencies, top officials from his government began much-awaited, televised talks with student leaders.

In opening remarks, student leader Alex Chow said that an August decision by China’s legislature ruling out so-called civil nomination and requiring the nominating committee has “emasculated” Hong Kong.

#FreedomNow T-Shirts '

#FreedomNow T-Shirts ‘

Chow and four other student leaders, wearing black T-shirts that said “Freedom Now!,” faced off against five senior government officials in dark suits across a U-shaped table.

“We don’t want anointment,” said Chow, secretary-general of the Hong Kong Federation of Students, one of three groups leading the protests.

Source: 

#ANS2014

‘ WHO SAY TEN OF THOUSANDS OF EBOLA VACCINES COULD BE AVAILABLE FOR TESTING BY JANUARY ‘


#AceWorldNews – GENEVA – October 21 – Tens of thousands of doses of experimental Ebola vaccines could be available for “real-world” testing in West Africa as soon as January as long as they are deemed safe, a top World Health Organization official said Tuesday.

Dr Marie Paule Kieny, an assistant director general for WHO, said clinical trials that are either under-way or planned in Europe, Africa and the U.S. are expected to produce preliminary safety data on two vaccines by December.

Source: 

#ANS2014

‘ DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY IMPOSE TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS ON FLIGHTS FROM WEST AFRICA ‘


#AceBreakingNews – WASHINGTON – October 21 – The Department on Homeland Security on Tuesday imposed travel restrictions on flights from West African nations hit by the deadly Ebola virus.

“Today, I am announcing that all passengers arriving in the United States whose travel originates in Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea will be required to fly into one of the five airports that have the enhanced screening and additional resources in place,” DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson said in a statement. The Department of Homeland Security announced Tuesday that all travelers from Ebola outbreak countries in West Africa will have to arrive at one of five airports with enhanced screening.

Customs and Border Protection within the department began enhanced screening – checking the traveler’s temperature and asking about possible exposure to Ebola – at New York’s John F. Kennedy airport on Oct. 11.

Enhanced screening for travelers from Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea was expanded Oct. 16 to Washington’s Dulles, Chicago’s O’Hare, New Jersey’s Newark and Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson airports.

By The Hill and USA Today.  

#ANS2014

MOSCOW: ‘ CEO OF FRENCH OIL CORPORATION KILLED WHEN HIS PRIVATE JET HIT A SNOW PLOUGH ON TAKE-OFF’


#AceWorldNews – MOSCOW – October 21 – The chief executive of French oil major Total, Christophe de Margerie, was killed when his private jet collided with a snow plough as it was taking off from Moscow’s Vnukovo airport on Monday night.

Main-Margerie

CEO OF FRENCH OIL CORPORATION KILLED WHEN HIS PRIVATE JET HIT A SNOW PLOUGH ON TAKE-OFF’

De Margerie’s death leaves a void at the top of one of the world’s biggest listed oil firms at a difficult time for the industry as oil prices fall and state-backed competitors keep them out of some of the best oil exploration territory.

The collision occurred minutes before midnight Moscow time as de Margerie’s Dassault Falcon jet was taking off for Paris.

Russia’s Investigative Committee said the driver of the snow plough had been drunk and that a criminal investigation had been launched.

The plane’s three crew also died, said Total.

The airport said visibility was 350 meters (1,150 feet) at the time of the crash.

Source: 

#ANS2014 

CHINA: ‘ CHINESE-BACKED HACKERS MAY HAVE INFILTRATED APPLE’S ICLOUD STORAGE AND BACK-UP SYSTEM ‘


#AceNewsServices – CHINA – October 21 – Chinese backed hackers may have infiltrated Apples iCloud storage and backup service in China was attacked by hackers trying to steal user credentials, a Chinese web monitoring group said, adding that it believes the country’s government is behind the campaign.

Apples iCloud storage and backup service in China

Apples iCloud storage and backup service in China

Using what is called a “man-in-the-middle” (MITM) attack, the hackers interposed their own website between users

"man-in-the-middle" (MITM) attack

“man-in-the-middle” (MITM) attack

and Apple’s iCloud server, intercepting data and potentially gaining access to passwords, iMessages, photos and contacts, Greatfire.org wrote in its blog post.

The attack coincided with the start of iPhone 6 sales in China on Friday, the blog said.

“This is clearly a malicious attack on Apple in an effort to gain access to usernames and passwords and consequently all data stored on iCloud such as iMessages, photos, contacts, etc,” the security blog said.

It was unclear whether the hackers were still active. Apple did not have an immediate comment when contacted.

“All the evidence I’ve seen would support that this is a real attack. The Chinese government is directly attacking Chinese users of Apple’s products,” said Mikko Hypponnen, chief research officer at security software developer F-Secure.

“As always, we recommend using the Internet over a trusted virtual private network.”

Source: 

#ANS2014

YEMEN: ‘ AL-QAEDA MILITANTS CAPTURE THE CAPITAL OF SAANA ‘


#AceWorldNews – YEMEN (Sanna) – October 21 – Al-Qaeda militants have captured a town south of Yemen’s capital Sanaa as government troops fought fierce battles elsewhere against Houthis Shiite rebels, security officials said.

Sunni militants on Monday seized al-Adeen town 200km south of Sanaa in Ibb province, AP reported, citing officials.

Militants linked to Al-Qaeda last week stormed the local security headquarters in al-Adeen and held it for hours before fleeing to the mountains.

Source: Associated Press 

#ANS2014