#AceBreakingNews – LIBYA:June.09: Islamic State militants have seized a power plant west of the Libyan city of Sirte, Reuters reported.
IS announced the seizure in a message on social media, adding that “now the city of Sirte has been freed completely.” Forces loyal to the self-declared government that controls the Libyan capital Tripoli pulled out of Sirte after the attack on the plant began.
Three soldiers were killed, according to a military source.
#AceWorldNews – TRIPOLI – October 24 – Lebanese troops arrested a recruiter for the Islamic State group wanted for the beheading of a captured soldier, in a raid Thursday that netted more suspects and killed three gunmen, the army said.
“A military intelligence unit carried out a security operation at dawn in the Dinniyeh area” of northern Lebanon on an apartment in which jihadist Ahmad Miqati was living, a statement said.
Miqati and his son Omar were arrested in the raid. They, along with a Miqati nephew identified as Bilal “were involved in the slaying of martyred Sergeant Ali Sayyid” in the border town of Arsal, the army said.
Tensions have soared in Lebanon since August when the army fought deadly clashes with jihadists of the IS and Al-Qaeda affiliate Al-Nusra Front in Arsal.
The jihadists are demanding that Lebanon free Islamist prisoners.
#AceNewsServices – LEBANON – Families of the Lebanese soldiers and security officers kidnapped by Takfiri terrorists in Syria have blocked roads in Lebanon, urging the government to do more to release their loved ones.
On Monday, protesters erected high sand mounds across Dahr al-Baidar highway in the capital, Beirut, blocking all access, including a narrow passageway that had been kept open for ambulances and emergency cases.
Security sources said the road blockage was meant to express the families’ growing frustration with regard to what happened to their loved ones.
In northern Lebanon, relatives of captive soldier, Ibrahim Mogheit, also cut off a highway in Qalamoun region, severing access to the city of Tripoli.
Traffic had to be redirected to a narrow road, causing long trails of stranded cars.
#AceNewsServices – LIBYA (Tripoli) – October 06 – Islamist militias in Libya took control of nearly a dozen commercial jet-liners last month, and western intelligence agencies recently issued a warning that the jets could be used in terrorist attacks across North Africa the Free Beacon reported on September 02 2014.
“There are a number of commercial airliners in Libya that are missing,” said one official. “We found out on September 11 what can happen with hijacked planes.”
The official said the aircraft are a serious counter-terrorism concern because reports of terrorist control over the Libyan airliners came three weeks before the 13th anniversary of 9/11 attacks and the second anniversary of the Libyan terrorist attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi.
Four Americans, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens, were killed in the Benghazi attack, which the Obama administration initially said was the result of a spontaneous demonstration against an anti-Muslim video.
A senior State Department counter-terrorism official declined to comment on reports of the stolen jet-liners.
A second State department official sought to downplay the reports. “We can’t confirm that,” he said.
Meanwhile, officials said Egyptian military forces appear to be preparing to intervene in Libya to prevent the country from becoming a failed state run by terrorists, many with ties to al Qaeda.
Libya remains an oil-rich state and if the country is taken over completely by Islamist extremists, U.S. counter-terrorism officials believe it will become another terrorist safe haven in the region.
The officials said U.S. intelligence agencies have not confirmed the aircraft theft following the takeover of Tripoli International Airport in late August, and are attempting to locate all aircraft owned by two Libyan state-owned airline companies, as security in the country continued to deteriorate amid fighting between Islamists and anti-Islamist militias.
#AceBreakingNews – LIBYA (Tripoli) – A boat carrying at least 250 African migrants to Europe capsized before leaving the coast near the capital, Tripoli, drowning dozens, according to a spokesman of Libya’s coast guard.
Qassim Ayoub said that Libyan coast guards were retrieving dozens of bodies still floating 18 kilometres off the coast in the Tajoura district, AP reported.
Thirty-six African migrants, including three women – one of them pregnant – were rescued Monday.
Governor Saddek Omar Elkaber, who is currently in Algiers attending a conference of Arab central bank directors, failed to attend a session at the House of Representatives, which is currently meeting in the city of Tobruk in the east of the country after last month an armed opposition group seized the capital Tripoli.
The Islamist groups that have captured the capital have reinstated the previous parliament as their positions in it were much stronger.
Hashem added that 94 of the 102 lawmakers presented at the session, during which they agreed on this decision. The dismissal is widely seen as a move by the newly elected parliament to secure its financial channels against the ex- parliament General National Congress (GNC) Xinhua reported.
Al-Kabir, allegedly supporting the ex-parliament, responded on Sunday that he will not surrender his position. According to local media, Al-Kabir has long stayed in his residence in Malta and refused to cooperate with the new parliament.
Until a successor is appointed, deputy governor Ali al-Hibri will be in charge at the Central Bank.